I have been working a bit with lighting lately. Mostly taking apart old lamps and old lamp fixtures that I find and reconfiguring them to make new ones. The best place to trash dig for lamp parts is around college dorms during move-out. Students usually get the stock Ikea lamps, use them for the year and dispose of them when they go back home for summer. They are great lamps because of all the nuts, bolts, billets, and other hardware that can be re-purposed. For this lamp, I needed something brighter to go over the desk in my office. My apartment came with a generic residential lamp that wasn’t quite fulfilling the light I needed to work. So using about three Tertial Lamps from Ikea that I had found last year, I made a hanging lamp with four 40w bulbs that I can individually control with switches, that also plugs into the existing light fixture with an adapter I got at the dollar store, so I can turn the entire fixture on and off using the wall switch. This allows me to control the amount of light and mood I need for the space. I will have to admit. I did not use the sockets from the existing lamps. I bought new ones from the Hardware Store for $2.99 each. You could probably use the existing sockets, but these particular Ikea lamps didn’t have the switches built into the fixture head so I am going to use them for a different lighting endeavor. Earlier this month I found a scrap piece of Plexi-Glass on the side of the road that I cleaned up, sanded and, used as the translucent element that helps conceal all of the wiring and other hardware needed to supply the sockets with power, You could use any type of translucent material, but I would recommend it to be at least 3/8″ thick so it doesn’t warp under the heat and weight of the lights. From there I constructed a small wooden frame that the glass, sockets and, all of the other elements could suspend from. I used the springs from the existing lamps and the tension supports between the frame and the glass. The billets the held the springs vertical in tension in the existing lamps were re-puposed to hold the springs horizontal in the new lamps, and also used on the underside of the lamp as a hardware detail. I made a small frame that mounts to the ceiling where the entire fixture and wires suspend from. The whole project took about a day and I spent around $20.00. Here are some of the process and final pictures.