completed projects, home systems, living, storage solutions

3 Drawer Cabinet

Poplar cabinet with reclaimed oak drawers and purpleheart accents.
MAIN PAGE SUB 1 SUB 2 SUB 3

Advertisements
Standard

IMG_365222″w x 25″h x 13″d

completed projects, living, small products, storage solutions

Christmas Cabinet

Image

MASTER 1

completed projects, home systems, storage solutions

july

Image

MASTER1

completed projects, home systems, storage solutions

shelving

Image
completed projects, home systems, storage solutions

old new shelves

I needed to change things up in the living room.  I was getting pretty bored with the old arrangement.  So, I built a new modular for the shelves that I had done previously…

arrangement before

…and turned the shelves into a corner unit.  I found some old tables in the trash, sanded and refinished the legs.

Here is the result…

Enjoy 🙂

Setting up the New Frame for the Unit

Cutting and Drilling in the Individual Shelves

Adding the Refurbished Legs to the Finished Shelf Frames

And VOILA!! New Shelves for the Corner. I think I will put a nice reading chair there.

Standard
completed projects, home systems, lamps & lighting, office systems, storage solutions

299 Himrod

A friend of mine from college recently moved to Brooklyn for law school.  If there is one thing I have come to realize, it is that law students study hard and acquire lots of reading material along the way.  So, my friend’s apartment isn’t that big, a typical “railroad” style in Bushwick.  Her kitchen is also the dining room , the study and, the entry way.  A few months ago she had asked me to build her a set of shelves for all of her law books as well as make a little space that she can do her readings and papers.  I sketched out a few designs for her and she was pretty excited.

Below are a few of the initial drawings…

We wanted to keep the budget flexible, and I also wanted to experiment with “Oriented Strand Lumber.”  It is extremely inexpensive (about $14.00 for a 4’x8’ sheet) has a great surface texture (especially when you put a gloss or satin on it) and, the best part is that it comes with information about the type of wood, installation methods, manufacturer, and so on printed right on the surface of the board almost like newsprint.  In that, I saw a bit of an opportunity to use the information of the print and integrate that into the design of the shelves and desk.

One of the most important things about this project was that the shelves had to be fairly modular so that we could disassemble and reassemble them easily when it came time to move and install them into her apartment.

 I came up with a “slab prototype” that was just two pieces of the printed lumber cut to match in size that could be mounted together with a 2 ½” space between them for laying flat objects like books and paper.  This way I could assemble all of the shelving pieces individually, double my surface space for the total unit and, provide an adequate amount of sheer strength due to the depth of the material.  This also meant all that the shelves needed was the modular units and the vertical members they attached to, without any other type of support (aside from the two “L” brackets that were easily screwed to the wall and the top of the shelving during assembly).

Cutting some of the Shelf Boards

 

All the Surface Cut to Size

 

Staining the Pieces (Walnut)

 

Gluing and Clamping one of the Modules

 

A Finished Module

 

All the Modules (A total of Eight)

 

The desk was the biggest challenge because I wanted it to be fixed to the shelving unit, as well as fold down when she wasn’t using it for studying or anything else.  I took the same width that the shelving units were, and made that the overall width of the desk so that it could fit inside the vertical boards along with the rest of the horizontal shelves.  This also allowed the printed board to be a horizontal graphic when the desk was folded down.  I measured overall desk dimensions from other examples I had in my apartment to make sure the surface of the desk was not to high to work comfortably on, but also looked proportional with the rest of the shelving unit.  It also had to be short enough to fold down flush against the unit.  I used a 1 1/8” wooden dowel for the pivot connection of the desk and bored it into the vertical members so that the dowel could be pulled into the frame and locked when the shelves were finally assembled.

Framing out the desk before staining

 

Assembling the desk

 

The underside of the desk assembled

 

Boring of the holes for the Pivot Connection

 

Completed Desk Surface Being Attached to the Rest of the Shelves

 

This meant that the legs of the desk had to be removable and somehow rest on the edge of the desk when it was closed.  I used angled cut wood for each of the two legs as sort of a way finding system for attaching the legs without any instruction.

Clamping the legs before gluing

 

Legs before Staining

 

Some of the Angles Used for Leg Connection

 

Once all of this was completed the whole thing was assembled into two units that were connected with purple (her favorite color) shelves that interlocked with one another.  This was so that the shelves could be broken down into two units and could be next to one another or separate depending on the need in the space.

Cutting the Vertical Pieces of Wood that Would Hold the Shelves (This Took a Bit of Courage)

 

Making Sure the Angle was Just Right

 

Attaching Shelves to Rails

 

Finally, I attached a small reading lamp with a light socket I had left over from another project and the whole thing came together.

With Desk Open

 

The Purple Dividers

 

With Desk Closed

 

The Print From the Board on the Glossed Desk

 

Standard